Press Release no, 4
March 23, 2015 (Nyamilepedia)—--The newly appointed Spokesman for SPLA –IO Col. Lony T. Ngundeng Issued a press release saying the SPLA in opposition have learned that the government of South Sudan is supplying its military bases with all forms of Landmines imported from Uganda which come in two varieties: anti-personnel and anti-vehicle mines.
The spokesman told our press team that they have gathered more information from their military correspondents in all war-fronts, adding that they have also confirmed that the SPLA –Juba faction has placed much anti-personnel mines under grounds in Nasir, Ayod, Renk and Alekha northern part of Renk and that have caused great suffering in the past two weeks to civilians inhabiting those areas.
Col. Lony T. Ngundeng was quoted on Phone by Nyamilepedia press team putting a blame on SPLA-Juba forces, saying it’s not wise for the government forces to Use landmine in the civilian’s populated areas.
“This is a clear sign that The Government of South Sudan and its allies are now violating the International Campaign to Ban Landmines (ICBM) instead of working for a world free of anti-personnel mines and cluster munitions, where mine and cluster munitions survivors see their rights respected and can lead fulfilling lives” said Col. Ngundeng.
By using Anti-personnel landmines which are prohibited under the Convention on the Prohibition of the Use, Stockpiling, Production and Transfer of Anti-Personnel Mines and on Their Destruction adopted in 1997, Colonel Lony Ngundeng stated that Juba regime is clear of violating the international treaties.
“The Government of South Sudan has taken the war into different ways of brutalities by using the banded weapons. Last year from the beginning of the current conflict then, the pro-government forces with help from Ugandan Air defense force or UPDF had used the cluster bombs along Juba-Bor road where they clashed with our forces which resulted with heavy casualties” He said
The Spokesman also revealed to Nyamilepedia press team that some victims died in different hospitals due to the ban weapons while some land mines victims who are pure civilians are currently under treatment in Addis Ababa.
The SPLA spokesman asserted that; if weapons like UXos will continue to exist, than there will be more lives at risks, many casualties, among civilian population, humanitarian aid workers, it will also hinders agricultural activities, animal grazing as well as wildlife in general, it could also denies citizens access to water, food, care and trade and they pose a threat to the safety of civilians during conflicts and long afterwards.
“The office of spokesperson from the SPLA-IO would like to inform the world and the UN bodies about the great atrocities committed by the government forces and take quick respond to stop Juba faction from making further destruction and indiscriminately killing on civilians, aid workers, and soldiers alike” Said Col. Lony T. Ngungdeng.
Col. Ngundeng told Nyamilepedia Press team that his office have received more information, death of people and those who lose their limbs from stepping on a landmine in the affected areas of the conflicts Mostly in Greater Upper Nile and the majority of victims are civilians.
“In the last two days the government forces placed more anti-personnel mines trying to fence-out our forces in the surrounding area of Nasir town where the local population is grazing animals and fetching water for their consumption. However, this resulted in a big loss of cattle being killed, women, children and elderly people remained as victims since they use to walk for miles to fetch some water in the River” Said the Spokesman.
Hundreds have been killed and some remained as victims since the beginning of the conflicts in Jonglei, Upper Nile and Unity states.