South Sudan: Lul Ruai Koang Did Not Defect!!!!!
Feb 19, 2015(Nyamilepedia) — A Kenyan politician, Otieno Kajwang(RIP), once said “we are nothing, we know ourselves, we are nothing, nothing”. Kajwang, a loyalist to ODM and Raila Odinga, was referring to his colleagues in ODM party, that none of them could challenge their chairman, Raila Odinga. Kajwang went on to elaborate that himself and his colleagues were winning in their constituencies because of ODM tickets ( although Raila, the chairman with fat ODM ticket, lost in his constituency, Langata.)
Kajwang had a point that Lul should have considered before defecting/quitting. Lul Ruai Koang is nothing to SPLM/SPLA-IO but he failed to understand that he was “something” only because of SPLM/SPLA led revolution. The popularity and support that he gained in such a short time was not a personal but a collective achievement. Lul has no glaring achievements compared to many young men and women in SPLM/SPLA-IO. Besides, Greater Lou-Nuer are not stones that you can just move to any direction as you please. They have brains, dreams, visions and missions; so you cannot declare for them in a hotel room in Nairobi, Kenya.
Also to challenge the SPLM/SPLA movement, you must have a vision to sell to the people. The reason that the Nuer, the Dinka, the Equatorians, the Murle and other minority tribes are gathering under the umbrella of SPLM/SPLA-IO was not for the love of Dr. Riek Machar Teny but the visions of SPLM/SPLA-IO. Lul has no vision, he has reduced the national interest into clan’s interest, “fighting for Greater-Akobo state”. This is an insult to the national position that he held.
We all perceived him as a national figure, not a Lou-Nuer aspirant. And even a Lou-Nuer aspirant must have a vision and the courage to face the enemy on their behalves. Greater Lou-Nuer have brave generals with tons of military experience, and visionary young men and women that have visions for Lou-Nuer and the nation. But we have all downplayed such ambitions for collective interests. SPLM/SPLA-IO is not fighting for one state call Greater-Akobo but for all states that make up the nation. So, if Lul really loves his “Greater Akobo” state, he would have fought for it under the auspices of Dr. Riek Machar because the SPLM/SPLA-IO has the capacity to achieve more than that.
To make it worst, Lul did not defect to fight or resist any injustice. He declared a “cease fire” in his hotel room before “defecting”. So Lul is just retiring. You can not “resist” and “cease fire” simultaneously, so he must have been under influence of something else to choose these terms.
In sum, for I had no intention to write an article, Lul is not a leader because he sees defeats more than victory:
1. Lul is defecting (quitting in layman terms) because of confrontations (individual grudges) with Mabior Garang de Mabior. Real men never quit, they solve problems. Lul is accepting defeat!
2. Lul has no strong credentials for the work he did. He got himself into minor troubles that he should have avoided. Instead he got oriented, manipulated and criticized from within and outside. So he opted to quit, accepting defeat!
3. Lul lacks military training, and supports. He declared his defection and calls for a cease fire within the same day because he can’t face the enemy! In other words, Lul accepted defeats!
4. Lul did not believe in the visions of SPLM/SPLA(IO) or he did not know what he was getting himself into. Revolution is not a short term dream, it takes decades and centuries. So, Lul seen defeats!
5. Seeking opportunities? One may asks, how did Lul becomes a Brig.Gen. during CPA? Was Lul appointed to two positions (Military spokesman, and Directorate of Information & Moral Orientation) by Dr. Riek?. Lul met Gen. Paul Awan in Kampala in Nov, 2014, and why?
Leaders are people who persevere, tolerate, listen and ready to take risks on behalves of others. Even the confined populations in poorly facilitated UNMISS camps, who spent nights in water (not cozy hotel rooms) did not expect victory within hours or days. Why are they not giving up?
Please note: This short piece was meant for social media consumption not for Nyamilepedia, however, there you have it. Enjoy! You can reach the author at dengsimon2000 at yahoo dot com or through Nyamilepedia!
The statements, comments, or opinions published by Nyamilepedia are solely those of their respective authors, which do not necessarily represent the views held by the moderators of Nyamilepedia. The veracity of any claims made are the responsibility of the writer(s), and not the staff and the management of Nyamilepedia.
Nyamilepdeia reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author(s). To publish your article, contact our editorial team at email@example.com