UN Fears Hundreds of Children Kidnapped in South Sudan For Use by Armed Forces

forceful recruiting of young children by Johnson Olony in Shilluk Kingdom (photo supply by UNICEF south Sudan)

forceful recruiting of young children by Johnson Olony in Shilluk Kingdom (photo supply by UNICEF south Sudan)

March 1, 2015(Nyamilepedia) — The UN children’s agency said this morning it fears hundreds of boys were kidnapped last month in the northeast of South Sudan, raising suspicions that the abductors were from a pro-government militia.

Last week UNICEF had estimated that 89 boys, some as young as 13, were abducted by an armed group in Wau Shilluk.

The riverside town is in government-held territory within the oil-rich Upper Nile state.

“The organisation now believes the number of children may be in the hundreds,” UNICEF said in a statement.

It added that the suspected kidnappers were from a “militia… aligned with the government’s SPLA forces.”

Witnesses to the mass abduction on 15-16 February said that unidentified armed soldiers surrounded the community and went house to house taking away by force any boys thought to be over 12.

“The recruitment and use of children by armed forces destroys families and communities,” Jonathan Veitch, the head of UNICEF in South Sudan, said when the kidnappings were first reported.

UNICEF estimates there are at least 12,000 children used by both sides in South Sudan’s ongoing civil war.

South Sudan plunged into violence in December 2013 when fighting erupted between forces loyal to President Salva Kiir and rebels led by his rival, former vice president Riek Machar.

Each side has accused the other of forcibly recruiting child soldiers.

The president’s spokesman Ateny Wek Ateny had strongly condemned last month’s kidnappings, saying: “The government of South Sudan will not tolerate the use of our children for violence.”

“This is the equivalent to the Boko Haram of South Sudan,” he said, referring to the Islamist extremist group behind an insurgency in northern Nigeria that has abducted boys and girls.

But after two weeks of inquiries, UNICEF said it believes government-aligned militia chief Johnson Olony, who controls the area and has been accused in the past by Human Rights Watch of using child soldiers, is responsible for the kidnappings.

The UN agency added that the South Sudanese army does not control this militia group.

Tens of thousands of people have died in the conflict, 1.5 million have been displaced and 2.5 million are in dire need of food aid in South Sudan, which declared independence from Sudan in 2011.

AFP

Advertisements

  6 comments for “UN Fears Hundreds of Children Kidnapped in South Sudan For Use by Armed Forces

  1. March 1, 2015 at 9:09 am

    Government need to do anything to free those innocent young boys.

    Like

  2. wok
    March 1, 2015 at 9:48 am

    olony is right

    Like

  3. March 1, 2015 at 11:09 am

    Olony does not know that,he is destroying his community ‘s future,shame on him!

    Like

  4. March 2, 2015 at 3:11 am

    Johnson olony is doing his part on self defense

    Like

  5. March 3, 2015 at 2:01 pm

    It is against international law to use minors in battle combat. Olony may be committing crimes he doesn’t know and be confronted by international court of justice.

    Like

Post a comment or reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: