Invitation To Participate in First Phase of Consultation Process-Questionnaire
Delegation To The Republic Of South Sudan
The Head Of Delegation
March 4, 2015(Nyamilepedia) — The EU Delegation to South Sudan, together with EU Member States, is currently elaborating an EU Country Roadmap for Engagement with Civil Society. This exercise aims at developing a common strategic framework for the EU in its engagement with civil society in South Sudan, and will translate the priorities of the 2012 EU Communication on Civil Society to the specific situation of the country.
These priorities are:
- To enhance efforts to promote a conducive environment for CSOs in partner countries;
- To promote a meaningful and structured participation of CSOs in domestic policies of partner countries, in the EU programming cycle and in international process;
- To increase local CSOs’ capacity to perform their roles as independent development actors more effectively.
Dialogue and consultation with local civil society are a key aspect of the Roadmap process. In a first phase, a questionnaire has been developed, meant to gather input from South Sudanese CSOs around a few key areas such as the environment they operate in, the role they play in society, and their capacity. More specifically, the questionnaire aims at:
- Engaging a wide range of CSOs as comprehensively as possible in the preparatory phase of the Roadmap designs;
- Gaining an overview of the realities of CSO work in South Sudan;
- Creating a solid foundation for more detailed consultations on the Roadmap.
I hereby invite your organization to fill out and return attached question by March 5 to the EU Delegation’s civil society focal point (Ms. Gisela Spreitizhofer, Gisela.Spreitzhofer@eeas.europa.eu). The information you provide will be kept confidential. Those interested CSOs that will have contributed to the initial consultation by completing the questionnaire will be invited to the second phase, namely a half-day consultation meeting organized by the EU Delegation in mid March.
Base on both the questionair and the consultation meeting, the U Delegation will then develop a Roadmap that reflects both the realities and need of South Sudanese CSOs and the EU’s indentified three priorities. The EU will thereafter maintain dialogue with CSOs and ensure that the vision of the Roadmap is followed through. I strongly encourage you to participate in this consultation process as CSOs, including your own organization, are expected to ultimately benefit from enhanced predictability, constituency and impact of EU action vis-à-vis South Sudan civil society.
Thanks you in advance for your time and constructive input.