The Position of Nuer Council of Elders On Peace Talks Reaffirmed In Iowa and Nebraska, USA!
The Position of the Nuer Council of Elders on IGAD Led Peace Process presented during Nuer Community Conference in Iowa and Nebraska SSRRA Diaspora Conference in United States of America
By Hon. Rev. Matheu Madiang Deng,
Former Member of Parliament, South Sudan.
March 28, 2015 and April 18, 2015
April 23, 2015(Nyamilepedia) — The delegation of Nuer Council of Elders lead by Rev. Honorable Methew Mathiang Deng comprises of; Legal Advisor to SPLM-IO Hon. Yien Wuroal Lam and SPLM-IO Representative to Kigali/Rwanda Hon. Bol Gatkuoth Chuol arrived in US on 26th of March, 2013 to attend Nuer Community Conference in Des Moines, Iowa on March 28, 2013 were welcomed by a huge crowd over five thousand Nuer delegates; with adulation singing both Church songs and Gorden Koang Duoth’s songs.
Therefore, below is the position of Nuer Council of Elders on IGAD peace process; was presented during the conferences by the head of delegation Rev. Hon. Mathiang Deng which talked about addressing the root causes, recommendations and appeal to the IGAD and International Community.
Nuer Council of Elders,
- NCE is a community based body created to oversee the interest of the Nuer Community in general, was immediately formed after the Government of South Sudan committed a horrible genocide, over 2000, Nuer killed in Juba, Capital of South Sudan in 2013.
- The Nuer has been systematically targeted by the regime in Juba and other areas in South Sudan for the reasons only known to Salva Kiir Mayardit, as such, the council seeks to find a lasting solution to end this declared massacre on one tribe the Nuer Ethnic group in Juba.
- The Council is currently Spearheading the community initiative to lobby and advocate for support to ensure that the root causes of conflict and Juba massacre are being addressed in the IGAD led peace talks. This is meant to pave the way in reaching a consensus for an amicable and lasting peace settlement.
- The initiative is to compile information about the root causes and to find the best and lasting solution to the ongoing Crisis in South Sudan hoping that the findings will have influence on IGAD peace and Reconciliation mediation processes. Perhaps, the initiative will gain desired recognition and support to quickly achieve peace and reconciliation.
- The Nuer Council of Elders being the voice of the community is determined to ensure that justice prevails for the sake of lasting peace. Therefore, we present the overall Nuer position as follow:
- The Nuer Council of Elders strongly rejects the resolution no 3 and 4 of the 28th Extra ordinary summit of the IGAD Heads of State and Government of 7th 2014 on the ground that the statement is contravening the spirit and position of mediation. It is unacceptable statement because it is pre-empting and dictating the warring parties to freely dialoguing on behalf of their own constituencies.
- This signify that the IGAD as mediating body, failed and deliberately ignored to address the fundamental issues mainly the Juba Massacre for the last thirteen Months in eight rounds of peace negation.
The body of NCE on Negotiation in Addis Ababa strongly said;
- It is regretful that the aggrieved community (The Nuer) felt that none of the culprits/perpetrators have been held responsible and accountable for the massacre.
- We the Nuer council of Elders pre-empt and condemn in the strongest terms possible any decision or action taken by the mediators intending to maintain the hand blooded president in the structure of the probable transitional government.
- The Council appeals, for IGAD mediators to revisit their approach and acquire a neutral status for credible mediation and satisfaction of the aggrieved community.
- To Endorse UN Security Council proposed imposition of arm embargo for South Sudan.
- To stop South Sudan oil flow since it is used for procuring the armament and funding of foreign Troops in the country.
- To the regional and international concern bodies to hold accountable the perpetrators that violated the human rights in the current crisis in South Sudan.
The NCE Recommendations and Appeal on IGAD
The following recommendations and Appeal are prerequisite to achieving peace:
- IGAD mediation should review their approach in addressing the Juba massacre bases on AU Commission of Inquiry Reports.
- IGAD and partners must put pressure on UPDF and other foreign armed forces to withdraw from South Sudan.
- Call upon concerned charitable institutions or people of good will to provide financial and technical support to the Nuer Council of Elders, in order to widen the consultation process amongst South Sudanese, the region and the international communities and outreach the refugees and displaced communities in South Sudan and the neighboring countries’ Camps such as Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan and Uganda. Also there is need to visit Key Nuer villages; Including Akobo, Fangak, Maiwut Mading, Lanken, Pieri, Nyal, Leer etc as well as Diaspora.
- Provide the support soonest possible to the identified communities wider members of the Nuer Council of Elders in Nairobi, Addis Ababa, Khartoum and Kampala for easy coordination in Relation to peace and reconciliation outreach programme and data collection.
- The humanitarian dialogue to spearhead support of this initiative and the Establishment of Coordination office in Nairobi, Kenya.
- President Salva Kiir and his government must stop training troops using cluster bombs and killing South Sudanese citizens this already amounts to genocide, thus he has, lost legitimacy as President of the Republic of South Sudan. Therefore IGAD Heads of State and government to call upon Salva Kiir to resigned for peace and stability to prevail in the Country in order to restore Trust and confidence among South Sudanese people.
- The International Communities should condemn the genocide already made by the President Salva Kiir of South Sudan to the Nuer Ethnic groups.
- That IGAD has failed to stop war after almost thirteen (13) months dialogue. Therefore The Nuer Council of Elders is welcoming the idea of adding other Countries members in the Continent to the next coming peace talk.
Thank you all…
God the Creator blessed the people of South Sudan and the whole world…
Rev. Hon. Methew Mathiang Deng,