South Sudan: Government Troops Preparing Fresh Assaults in Malakal
May 13, 2015(Nyamilepedia) — Latest reports from Malakal indicate that the government troops (SPLA-Juba) and allied militia are preparing fresh assaults on areas around the capital of Upper Nile state.
According to military sources in Malakal, the government has decided to carry out the last heavy assaults on the towns near the main cities of Malakal, Bentiu, Renk and Ayod before the rain intensifies.
“It is order from general headquarters, the rebels are going to attack our position here when the rain come. So we must act now and push them away” Said John, a member of governor’s forces who refused to be identified due to fear of reprisal.
“That is why they will be cleared very soon from all the bushes around malakal, Renk, and Ayod” John added.
The soldier said Juba has dropped more reinforcements in Malakal yesterday, and continued this morning.
Similar concerns were reiterated by Col. Philip Aguer, the military spokesman for SPLA (Juba) forces.
Col. Aguer accuses the rebels of mobilizing to attack their position in Malakal, however, he believes that the allied government forces are prepared to repulse any attack on their position.
“The rebels have been mobilizing after the Pagak conference to attack Malakal and their mobilization are almost completed to attack Malakal” Aguer said on the government owned SSTV.
“We expect rebels attack on Malakal at any time but the SPLA command is confident that all the rebels attacks or attempts will be defeated” Aguer continued.
Sources from Malakal indicate that tension remains high between the government factions that recently fought along tribal lines.
According to leaked reports from SPLA-IO, Maj. Gen. Olony may join forces with the SPLA-IO against the government troops if the SPLA-Juba attack their positions.
In a report released by the US embassy in Juba yesterday, government forces committed “grave human rights abuses” when they attacked areas near Bentiu in Guit and Nhialdiu last week.
Credible sources confirmed that the government troops killed 75 civilians, including children and women, in Nhialdiu, and burned down the villages beyond recognition.
Thousands heads of cattle, children and women from the Nuer tribe were also kidnapped.
According to reports released by the United Nations Mission in South Sudan(UNMISS), the government troops restricted humanitarian access to these areas around Mayom and south of Bentiu.
The disturbed US embassy calls on Salva Kiir government to allow humanitarian access to the areas where grave human rights violations are suspected.
““We are deeply disturbed by credible reports of grave human rights abuses against civilians in the areas around Mayom and south of Bentiu. We call on the government to allow protection actors to inspect sites where violations are alleged to have occurred, to include Nhialdiu, Wathjak, and Nimni.” part of the Embassy report reads.
The US Embassy has warned that “those who threaten the peace in South Sudan or violate international humanitarian law must be held accountable”