August 21, 2015 (Nyamilepedia) – Dear Dr. Riek Machar Teny, following the partially signed peace deal in Addis Ababa on the 17th August, 2015, we, the Lou-Nuer community in Uganda are expressing our support that we wholeheartedly welcome the peace deal.
We appreciate the leadership demonstrated by the movement leader Dr. Riek Machar and other signatories of the deal to have boldly decided to sign the compromised peace deal with a view to ending the nearly twenty months old civil war in South Sudan. Such a demonstration showcases the goodwill of a patriotic citizen to arrest the suffering South Sudanese are experiencing.
We are also grateful to acknowledge the immeasurable contribution that the international community invested in the process and pushed for the signing of the proposed compromise peace agreement.
However, we have observed and discerned that the power sharing provision which gives Jonglei State to the government does not reflect on our expectation as Jonglei citizens. And as a matter of reaction to such a provision, we equally have come up with our position as follows:
- The deal giving Jonglei State to the government is a complete dissatisfaction to the SPLA/M supporters and active frontline Counties in the State. Our state does not have to be compromised on a false account best known to individuals. We stand in opposition to that part of the deal for it victimizes some communities who had experienced isolation in the previous governance in the State.
- The two oil-producing States of Unity and Upper Nile should allocate 2.5% each to Jonglei State making a total of 5%. This will serve as a replacement of the compromised Jonglei State and such percentages should go to long underdeveloped Counties of Akobo, Nyirol, Uror, Ayod, Fangak and other supporters of SPLM/A because if given to the State Administration, it will not work to support the development of the mentioned Counties.
- It is also our demand that Jonglei State should have separate administrative areas just as in Greater Pibor (Pibor and Pochalla) Administrative Area (GPAA). There should be Greater Fangak (Ayod, Fangak and Pigi) Administrative Area (GFAA), Greater Akobo (Uror, Nyirol and Akobo) Administrative Area (GAAA) and Greater Bor (Bor South, Duk and Twic East) Administrative Area (GBAA). This will harmonize the administration of the greater areas with that of the State as federalism takes initiative though governed by One Governor.
- On the legislative share of proposed 50 legislators, Jonglei State should have 40% (20) out of the Members of Parliament, Unity with 20% (10), and Upper Nile with 20% (10), regions of Equatoria with 10% (5) and Bahr el Ghazal 10% (5).
- We propose that the SPLM/A headquarters should change from Pagak to Waat during this transitional period.
We wish the leadership of the movement a better view of this concern and respond to the above grievances.
CC: SPLA Chief of General Staff: Simon Gatwech Dual
CC: SPLM Chairman of the Humanitarian Committee: Hussein Mar Nyuot
CC: SPLM Ambassador to Ethiopia: Goi Jok Yul
CC: Bieh State Governor: Koang Gatkuoth Kerjiok
CC: Bieh State Deputy Governor: Koang Rambang Chol
CC: Bieh State County Commissioners
CC: Lou Nuer Leadership in South Sudan and diaspora
CC: Lou Nuer Youth across the Globe
Juma Wechtuor Both Deng – Lou-Nuer Chairperson in Uganda
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org